The St. Mark’s Compass Team, tasked with developing a strategic plan for the church, has a lot of information in hand now, thanks to the 69 people who completed the recent congregational survey by the deadline. A total of 130 surveys were distributed. If you did not receive a survey, please call the church office at (302) 764-7488 to request one. We want everyone’s ideas on how to shape a great future for St. Mark’s.
As those of you who responded to the survey know, there is much to review and a careful analysis is underway.
Nancy Wilkerson, convener of the team, invested many hours assembling the responses, sorting them by relevant categories, attaching numeric scores to priorities and perceptions within the congregation and typing out individual comments.
“We’ll be working on this for a number of weeks,” she said.
Respondents’ statements about the church are divided into seven themes including: fellowship, faith, faith formation and education, outreach, flexibility, leadership, and overall satisfaction.
“We’re evaluating responses in a respectful, positive way,” said Mike Patterson, another Compass Team member. “They’re valuable and we appreciate everyone doing it.”
Surveys of area community groups and leaders are continuing and smaller focus groups will be convened for further discussion to help us clarify our mission.
“How do our greatest gifts help to meet the greatest needs?” Pastor Scott Maxwell said.
Here are a few bits of information about those who responded to the report:
* 62 percent of respondents have attended St. Mark’s for more than 20 years, 16 percent for 11-20 years, 12 percent for 6-10 years, 10 percent for 1-5 years.
* 68 percent of respondents are married.
* 36 percent are between 65-75 years old, 28 percent between 41-64, 26 percent over 75.
* 52 percent of respondents attend the 9 a.m. service, 23 percent the 11 a.m., 22 percent attend both.
* Results of the congregational survey will be distributed when the reports and analysis are complete.
* After release of the results, discussion sessions will be scheduled to address questions, seek more information and further explain the goals of this process.
* Congregational leaders (Council members, committee chairs, ministry leaders) will gather at a retreat in April to review the reports, discuss priorities and begin to shape the St. Mark’s strategy.
Please continue to pray for this team as this work continues, asking God for wisdom, discernment and strength for the task.
In addition to Pastor Scott, Nancy and Mike, team members include Nichole Bishop, Peg Bradley, Beth Miller and Dwight Novotny.